Re: FW: NYT 12/7/97 - Will Commerce Flourish Where Rivers of Wire Converge?

Mimi Hui (huim@rpi.edu)
Tue, 09 Dec 1997 23:02:37 -0500

Norman J. Jacknis wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thought you might find this article of interest. At WATPA, we've been
> talking about this stuff for a few years now. Unfortunately, we've found
> it harder to move Westchester County quite as fast as Palo Alto moves.
> But, it will happen.
>
> Regards,
> Norm

This was a very intersting article. Since I am currently involved in
building back end systems for an ecommerce site, I'd love to think that
ecommerce will be the big thing of the future.

It is also interesting to note that the only people who seem to be
making any money on the net (profiting) are those who already have a
huge business to start off with (Cisco, Dell). At the Internet COmmerce
Expo in LA a couple of months back, a bunch of companies kept stressing
how much money was saved by it's net presence. While that is
wonderful, it would be interesting to see how many companies who didnt
have a storefront presence are profiting from net revenue.

Also, ecommerce is still in it's infancy. I've evaluated a number of
products which promise an ecommerce 'solution' and still, I have not
found the 'perfect' product. I am now a believer that the best thing
anyone can do for themselves is to get a crew of very skilled techs who
can either write their own app, or, more likely, force a vendor's
product to abide by certain business rules (what we did).

Anyways, enough jabbering from me :).

--Mi