Re: Issue: WATPA ListServ on the Web -- Yes or No?

Mitch Freedman (freedman@wlsmail.wls.lib.ny.us)
Fri, 6 Sep 1996 16:04:38 -0400 (EDT)

I agree with the more complete and cogent argumentation offered by Chris
below regarding WEB access to the WATPA mail (than the more limited
reasons I offered for same.)

I vote for number 1, i.e. leave it just the way it is.

mitch freedman

On Fri, 6 Sep 1996, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Sep 1996, Norman J. Jacknis wrote:
>
> > What do you think -- should we take the ListServ off the Web?
>
> Here's my reasoning for making the discussions available via the web:
>
> WATPA is a public group. Anyone can walk into a meeting. In fact, a common
> discussion topic was how to get more people into meetings. I see the
> mailing list as an extention of a meeting.
>
> Sometimes, I may want to refer to something we discussed some time
> ago. Also, people continually join the list. Having the archive available
> via the web makes it easy for new people to find out what's going on, and
> for any of us to look back on what was discussed.
>
> Finally, having the discussion indexed by Alta Vista, Lycos, and the rest
> is publicity. Someone who might have an interest in the group, in any
> subject we've ever talked about, can find us, and if they like what they
> see, join.
>
> If anyone has topics they would not want to discuss with first time
> members in a room, I suggest they rethink their reason for involvement in
> WATPA -- as in Public Access.
>

> That's my opinion. As sysadmin, here are the options:
>
> 1) Leave things as-is
>
> 2) Block databases from indexing the archive. This will make it freely
> available, but not as visible to wanderers. It also limits the archive's
> usefullness as a recruiting tool.
>
> 3) Password protect the archive so that only members can access it. This
> is a royal pain, and I suspect would be for practical purposes the same as
> the next option, which is . . .
>
> 4) Take down the archive completely.
>

> -Chris

> Chris Candreva -- chris@westnet.com -- (914) 967-7816
> WestNet Internet Services of Westchester
> http://www.westnet.com/

mitch

"I'll be seeing you in all the old familiar places..."

Maurice J. Freedman
Westchester Library System
8 Westchester Plaza
Elmsford, NY 10523