Re: August Meeting Action Items

Christopher X. Candreva (chris@westnet.com)
Sun, 25 Aug 1996 10:40:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 23 Aug 1996, Norman J. Jacknis wrote:

> * FrontPage And PathMaster Administration

> Patrick Colvin, our Webmaster,
> gave an impressive demonstration of Microsoft's FrontPage product for
> managing complex Web sites. We decided to make this our standard Web
> management tool. It will allow us to have many people working on
> different parts of PathMaster while still adhering to the same basic
> standards.

Sorry I missed this meeting.

I strongly advise against this, especially if you are using the extensions
to a Unix server. I looked into it for a client, and FrontPage appears to
me to be a big gaping security hole.

If nothing else, do NOT run FrontPage and/or the web server as root as the
documentation suggests. If you do so, you might as well take the password
off the root account !

The fact that MS even MADE this suggestion convinced me they do not know
enough about Unix security to trust the software.

-Chris

http://www.westnet.com/