NII AWARD ENTRY

William Langham (blangham@westnet.com)
Mon, 29 Apr 1996 09:54:07 -0400 (EDT)

attached is the completed NII Entry form. If there are comments please
post to me by midnite tonight as the application is due 5/01/96. Thanks
to all for their valuable input.

****************************
(A) PROJECT
Community Entry
****************************

A1. TITLE OF ENTRY (8 word maximum) Please provide a
descriptive name for your Entry. A1:

WATPA/WLS Westchester PathMaster(TM)

Westchester PathMaster(TM) provides, without charge, a World
Wide Web Gateway to Westchester County's non-profit
organizations.

-- end of response -- do not remove this line --

A2. KEYWORDS Please check all the keywords that apply to your
Entry. A2:
[ ] Physical community
[ ] Virtual community
[x] Combines physical and virtual community
[x] Internet/WWW
[ ] Broadband
[x] Other (please separate words or phrases with commas):

Non-profit, public access, community information, community
services, WWW access, volunteer effort

-- end of response -- do not remove --

A3. NAME OF ENTRANT - Name of individual(s), company(ies) or
organization(s) submitting the Entry A3:

Westchester Alliance for Telecommunications and Public Access
(WATPA), Westchester Library System (WLS)

-- end of response -- do not remove this line--

A4. - A.18 CONTACT PERSON - The person who will be the primary
contact for this project for the NII Awards and Judges:

A4. Salutation: Dr.
A5. First Name: Norman
A6. Last Name: Jacknis
A7. Title: President
A8. Organization: Westchester Alliance for Telecommunications
and Public Access (WATPA)
A9. E-mail (Direct): njacknis@ix.netcom.com
A10. E-mail (for publication on Awards Website):
watpa@westnet.com
A11. Phone: 914 592-8214
A12. Fax:
A13. Room/Mailstop:
A14. Address: WATPA @ Westchester Library System
8 Westchester Plaza
A15. City: Elmsford
A16. State/Province: NY
A17. Zip/Postal Code: 10523
A18. Country: USA

A19. CONTACT RELATIONSHIP TO ENTRY (25 word maximum) Contact
person's relationship to and role in the Entry. A19:

WATPA Founder and President. Critical leader, organizer, prime
mover dedicated to ensuring that NII implementation in
Westchester County embraces the entire community - business,
public, educational.

-- end of response -- do not remove this line--

A20. The WEB ADDRESS associated with this Entry, if any. A20:

http://www.wls.lib.ny.us/watpa/index.html

-- end of response -- do not remove this line--

A21. How did you hear about the NII Awards? (select only one):

( ) Article/News story
( ) Web site ad or link
(x) Newsgroup/listserv posting
( ) Other NII Awards Entrant
( ) NII Awards Sponsor
( ) NII Awards Judge
( ) Friend or Colleague
( ) Not sure
( ) Other

A22. Did you enter the NII Awards in 1995?
( ) yes
(x) no

A23. Are you submitting OPTIONAL VIDEO in support of your
Entry?
( ) yes
(x) no

A24. I will be sending an OPTIONAL DIGITAL IMAGE for my Entry:

( ) yes
(x) no

A25. I would like to participate in the early entry prize
drawings (Enter by April 17 to be eligible):
( ) yes
(x) no

***********************
(B) OVERVIEW
Community Entry
***********************

B1. SUMMARY DESCRIPTION (100 word maximum) Provide a summary
description of your project. B1:

Westchester PathMaster(TM) provides Westchester County with a
FREE public/Internet accessible central site for the posting
of community information, services directories, and
establishes a new public space for the discussion of
contemporary issues effecting life in our community. With
technical assistance freely provided by WATPA members, Non-
profit Organizations are invited to create WWW homepages where
they may describe and promote themselves, list their programs,
activities, and calendars.

-- end of response -- do not remove this line--

B2. ONE-SENTENCE DESCRIPTION (25 word maximum) Provide a
one-sentence description of your project. B2:

Westchester PathMaster(TM) WWW-site created, managed and
sponsored by WATPA, hosted on Westchester Library System's
server, provides Westchester County a broad-based
informational warehouse.

-- end of response -- do not remove this line--

B3. OPTIMUM REVIEW METHOD (25 word maximum) Describe how your
project could best be reviewed (e.g., electronic access, video
documentation). B3:

Browse our Website, Westchester PathMaster(TM),

-- end of response -- do not remove this line--

B4. BACKGROUND (300 word maximum) Tell the story of how your
project came about (you may include partners, sponsors, the
team, how you were funded, etc.). B4:

Westchester Alliance for Telecommunications & Public Access
(WATPA) is a three year-old not-for-profit community
membership organization. WATPA's mission is to provide the
citizens, government, educational, and business organizations
of Westchester with objective advice, knowledge, and expertise
on emerging telecommunications, information "highways,"
technology and related services in Westchester. WATPA seeks
to find ways of accelerating the growth of inter-connected
networks within the county and to assure the general public's
access to those networks, regardless of where they live, their
social or economic circumstances. PathMaster(TM) reflects the
idea of creating a community information warehouse included in
our original Mission Statement and expressed in varying forms,
such as a bulletin board system, preceding widespread Internet
use and explosive World Wide Web growth.

When the Westchester Library System acquired a powerful, new
server on the Internet, WATPA's chair (who became a library
system trustee) suggested that one good use for the server was
community information. He offered the volunteer services of
WATPA to ensure that this offer would become a reality. Then,
WATPA and WLS together started a Web page for community
information, later named Westchester PathMaster(TM) in
recognition of those historical builders and maintainers of
public thoroughfares and proponents of access.

Westchester PathMaster(TM) represents attainment of a WATPA
goal, providing a readily accessible site for the
dissemination of community information. The Westchester
PathMaster(TM) site has grown in its first three months from
four simple text-based homepages to three dozen links and
pages, covering a broad spectrum of community information.

Creation of this service may be attributed to the dedication
of our volunteer community-oriented membership and our ability
to provide the technical expertise, without charge, to create
the site and to actively recruit content providers, assisting
them when necessary, also without charge, in homepage
construction.

-- end of response -- do not remove this line--

B5. HIGHLIGHTS (100 word maximum) What aspects of your project
should judges pay closest attention to? B5:

Our project was accomplished without incurring significant
expenditure by an independent grass roots group, unaffiliated
with any commercial venture or organization. WATPA brings
together a multi-talented group of individuals who give freely
of their time and expertise, embrace and advocate responsible
use of telecommunications by all strata of our community.

This project demonstrates the use of the Internet to offer
information not normally available or accessible in more
conventional, centralized media - Westchester, population of
nearly 900,000, is overshadowed by New York City media and
many of its residents are thus unaware of what is going on in
their own county.

-- end of response -- do not remove this line--

B6. OBJECTIVES (100 word maximum) What are the key objectives
or your project? Specifically,what need(s) was it created to
address? B6:

Our key objective was to provide the many community
organizations that contribute to the quality of life in our
county with the means to take advantage of the benefits
afforded by the Internet. These organizations provide the
services that enhance our community and make it an attractive
place to work, live and learn. Many are small, volunteer
organizations, often lacking the technical expertise to
utilize the Internet. By providing World Wide Web access for
these organizations, WATPA created a central place where any
one with Internet access could find information on these
community groups.

-- end of response -- do not remove this line--

B7. RESULTS, BENEFITS (300 word maximum) Describe the results
or outcomes actually achieved by your project. What benefits
have been realized by you and/or your users? Be as specific as
possible in the context of the Community Category Definition.
B7:

In little more than three months from the start of this
project, we have established links or pages for three dozen
local organizations. We have dozens more who have contacted
us or are preparing to deal with the presentation of their
services on the World Wide Web. Our service has been
publicized in the region's print and community cable
television media.

Westchester PathMaster(TM) has become the focal point for such
information within the county and so has become the place for
umbrella organizations, such as the United Way, the League of
Women Voters, and the Westchester Arts Council, to reside.

The practical uses of the information provided cover a wide
range from those seeking to learn of schedules at a local
performing arts center to parents deciding what is the best
choice of activities at a local nature center. Some of the
uses have, of course, gone beyond the usual provision of
information. [See User Feedback, below.]

-- end of response -- do not remove this line--

B8. MEASUREMENT (75 word maximum) How were the results,
benefits and outcomes described above measured? B8:

Though still in its infancy, measurable benefits and results
are reflected in the number of participating organizations,
number of organizations that were motivated to continue the
development of their Web pages after initial implementation,
number of larger, umbrella organizations that were motivated
to partner with their smaller constituents to promote Web page
development, and the rapidly increasing number of inquiries
received about the service.

-- end of response -- do not remove this line--

B9. INNOVATION (200 word maximum) Describe the way(s) in which
your project is innovative. What makes it unique? B9:

By partnering with the Westchester Library System and
utilizing its server, WATPA was able to avoid significant
hardware costs, complement the WLS role as information
storehouse for our county's diverse population and expand the
WLS role as information provider by creating an inexpensive
means for our non-profit community to access and enter the
realm of online telecommunications.

Additionally, our partnership with the Westchester Library
System enabled Westchester PathMaster(TM) to capitalize on
existing WLS administrative structure for services such as
public relations, information reproduction and distribution,
including on-line access to and visibility at 38 community
libraries and numerous school and college libraries in the
County.

We also believe this project has been innovative in its use of
the Internet as a primary and central means of providing
detailed community information to a large, populated county.

-- end of response -- do not remove this line--

B10. SUCCESS FACTORS (100 word maximum) What do you attribute
your success(es) to? B10:

WATPA consists of a cadre of committed volunteers with strong
interest in Internet advocacy and the technical skills
necessary to create and maintain the site, recruit and assist
content providers in preparing their homepages.

The Westchester Library System has well developed technical
and administrative structure, including the availability of an
Internet server. Their willingness to work with WATPA in
supporting creation of Westchester PathMaster(TM) is a crucial
element in the success of the project.

The Westchester Library System imprimatur enabled WATPA to
contact and capitalize on other county-based organizations'
abilities to spread the word about this new service.

-- end of response -- do not remove this line--

B11. FUTURE PLANS (100 word maximum) What are your plans for
expanding your project? How will it evolve as the capabilities
of the information infrastructure grow? B11:

Westchester PathMaster(TM) plans to expand its content to
include local government homepages. Inherent in these plans is
the creation of a virtual "Public Square" where community
members may speak out on local issues and engage local
officials in meaningful public policy discussions. Also
anticipated is cost-effective access to vital public
information (records, minutes, agendas, etc.) at all levels of
government and a practical approach to disseminate necessary
news (such as school closings).

-- end of response -- do not remove this line--

*************************************
(C) USERS AND USAGE
Community Entry
*************************************

C1. DATE OF FIRST USE - Month and year when people first began
using the project (mm/yy). C1:

01/96

-- end of response -- do not remove this line--

C2. # USERS - Approximate number of people actually
using/interacting with the project on a per-month basis
(select one only).
( ) 2-100
( ) 101-1000
(x) 1,001-5,000
( ) 5,001-50,000
( ) 50,001-100,000
( ) 100,001 +

As with other Web statistics, it is difficult to measure
precisely the number of individual users per month. Our rough
estimate is in the range a few hundred to a couple of
thousand.

C3. USER PROFILE (50 word maximum) Describe who your users are
and where they are located. C3:

Our users are primarily county residents with Internet access
from their homes, offices, schools or via publicly accessible
Internet terminals at the 38 public libraries comprising the
Westchester Library System.

-- end of response -- do not remove this line--

C4. What approximate percentage of your targeted users are
internal to your organization (e.g., employees, customers,
members) versus people outside your organization? (select only
one)
( ) 100% of users are inside the organization
( ) 90% inside, 10% outside
( ) 75% inside, 25% outside
( ) 50% inside, 50% outside
( ) 25% inside, 75% outside
( ) 10% inside, 90% outside
(x) 100% of users are outside the organization

C5. Who are the TARGETED USERS of your project? (check all
that apply):
[x] Children
[x] Young adults
[x] Adults as consumers/citizens
[x] Adults as workers/employees
[x] Senior Citizens
[x] Females
[x] Males
[x] Other - The targeted users include all residents and
people with an interest in Westchester County, New York.

C6. FREQUENCY. How often does your typical user use your
project? (select one)
( ) Several times per day
( ) Daily
( ) Several times per week
( ) Weekly
(x) Several times per month
( ) Monthly
( ) Several times per year
( ) Yearly
( ) Once or a few times only (event)

C7. FUNCTIONALITY & USAGE (250 word maximum) How does your
project work? How and do users use it or participate in it and
what do they do? C7:

General community users just access the Westchester
PathMaster(TM) web site from any Internet access provider and
then go into whatever area interests them.

Candidate/client non-profit organizations contact us
personally, by phone or email. WATPA follows up with a
package explaining the nature of the service and a simple
agreement between WATPA and the non-profit organization. The
non-profit organization then returns the agreement and sends
its information in printed or computer-readable form. The
organization may then work with one or more WATPA volunteers
to develop its presentation for the World Wide Web. For most
organizations, the actual coding of the pages is completed by
WATPA volunteers. Some organizations have their members work
on the coding and these people are given special access to
update the information.

Westchester PathMaster(TM) home page points to further
information describing WATPA's Web Support Services for
non-profit organizations:

* WATPA Web Support: WATPA is prepared to assist
Westchester-based non-profit organizations, at no cost, to
begin using the Web to communicate what they do to the world
on the Internet.
* Organization Page: WATPA will help develop and maintain a
single page for each Westchester-based non-profit organization
within the WATPA site. WATPA will also maintain an active
'hypertext' link to additional information related to the
organization.
* Web Page Guidance: WATPA will assist any Westchester-based
organization to locate local commercial resources to help them
develop a Web site of their own.

-- end of response -- do not remove this line--

C8. USER FEEDBACK (OPTIONAL; 250 word maximum) What positive
feedback have you received from your users? You may include
quotes, stories, anecdotes, etc. C8:

1) Our Webmaster received the following email from a user: