Re: Universal E-Mail

William Langham (blangham@westnet.com)
Wed, 6 Dec 1995 10:58:46 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 4 Dec 1995, (wls/westlynx) Mitch Freedman wrote:

> Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 13:11:03 -0700 (MST)
> From: (wls/westlynx) Mitch Freedman <freedman@wlsmail.wls.lib.ny.us>
> To: watpa@westnet.com
> Cc: WATPA <watpa@westnet.com>
> Subject: Re: Universal E-Mail
>
> Hi, everyone,
>
> I can't respond in depth at this time. Let it suffice to say that the
> American Library Association and the Urban Libraries Council and all
> librarians I know all want the public library to be the site of the
> information kiosks and information superhighway access, not the post
> office. If we had the financing, we'd follow the lead of the Carnegie
> Library of Pittsburgh and *give* free e-mail addresses to all who wanted
> them and provide internet access from public library terminals. (We're
> doing the latter already, i.e. internet and web access.)
>
> All the best,
>
> Mitch Freedman
> Westchester Library System

I had an interesting message the other day from the President of our
lovcal library. They've had the internet at the library for some months
now and the telco costs are beginning to have serious budget
implications. I have to talk with her for clarification, but Mith's
point about adequatelibrary funding is a very real concern at the enduser
point. If access becomes restricted at the public (free :-) ) end what
have we really accomplished?

My 2 cents

Bill