Don't we need public access to inform public life?

DDeBar (Spikey@BestWeb.net)
Sat, 27 Dec 1997 11:40:32 -0500

The below post is a cross from a Public Access list. By PEG, the mean
Public, Educational and Government Access stations. They "lack of editorial
control" they are talking about refers to the fact that, with the exception
of obscenity, most Public Access stations are completely uncensored,
without the ricj and powerful exercising editorial control over the
content. So you can talk about strikes in you company town, child molesting
in your schools and churches, poisoned foods, lousy medical care, bully
police and petty judges, crooked politicians, without having some petty
influence peddler at your local (chain) newpaper or radio/tv station
mediate (that is, censor) to protect his favored interest(s). You get to
tell, or find out, what is really going on in your community. Keep this in
mind when you consider what PBS ("brought to you by a grant from...") has
become.

On 23 Dec 97 at 16:07, Rob Brading wrote:

> Subject: AML: Public Policy Update -- Dec

> PBS PRESIDENT DUGGAN ATTACKS PEG ACCESS

> According to PBS president Ervin Duggan, public, education and
> government access channels are -one of the most underutilized
> resources in the country.+ Duggan went on to promote a partnership
> between PBS and cable that would -try to rehabilitate+ PEG access
> channels. According to Duggan, PEG access channels fail because
> of a -vaguely defined mission+ and -lack of editorial intelligence.+

Interesting play for our funding, push PEG out of the way so that
cable can finance PBS???

And a real lack of understanding of both the mission and controlling
elements of PEG.

Don Senzig, Jr - dsenzig@execpc.com - http://www.execpc.com/~dsenzig