Re: Bill to take ISPs off copyright hook

DDeBar (Spikey@BestWeb.net)
Sun, 20 Jul 1997 10:12:04 -0400

I would like to point out that there are many similarities between the
struggle to keep the internet free of regulation (read "censorship") and
the struggle being fought over PATV.

There have been various attempts in various jurisdictions to regulate the
content of PATV programming under the guise of gate-keeping, first against
obscenity, and then for the ostensible protection of copyright holders. As
a NYS representative of the Alliance for Community Media, I have been
monitoring this very closely. Where this regulation has been carried out by
some CATV companies, there has necessarily followed uneven application
thereof that, from the producer's and audience's points of view, was
indistinguishable from selective enforcement. It is apparent that this same
danger exists with granting ISPs this power. Neither ISPs nor CATV systems
should be judge and jury over copyright, and other content, issues; this
role belongs rightly to the courts.

DDeBar