More on CookiesCPS

William Langham (blangham@westnet.com)
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 06:44:03 -0400 (EDT)

Coincidentally, this message followed Norm's post about Cookies inmy mail
box...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 01:03:53 -0700
From: cpsr-global@Sunnyside.COM
To: "Multiple recipients of list cpsr-global@cpsr.org"
<listserv-reply-errors@snyside.sunnyside.com>
Subject: CPSR-GLOBAL digest 549

1) Internet Cookies--more
by Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com> (by way of Marsha Woodbury)

Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 12:40:42 -0600
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com> (by way of Marsha Woodbury)
To: cpsr-global@cpsr.org, cpsr-activists@cpsr.org
Subject: Internet Cookies--more

HTTP cookies can be used to track web browsers. But they are not
the only way to track browsers- for example the Referrer HTTP tag can show
what page you last visited. Your browser also tells every server
it talks to what kind of browser it is and how your PC is configured.

There are a lot of organizations who want to be able to track your
web browsing, and a lot of money is behind them. The money will
win out over individual privacy issues. What individuals concerned
about their privacy need is a technological solution, not a regulatory one.

I have written a program that provides a solution to web privacy
problems. It's called Cookie Jar. Cookie Jar lets the individual
control what cookies her browser will accept and which servers can
request cookies from her browser. It also reduces the amount of
revealing information that browsers send to web servers- at its most
private, the web server will only be able to get an IP address from
your browser.

In addition to enhancing web privacy, Cookie Jar also can be used to
reduce the annoyance of advertising on web sites by blocking out ads.

Cookie Jar is freeware. I give it away to promote privacy through technology.

Cookie Jar is available at http://www.lne.com/ericm/cookie_jar/

--
   Eric Murray  ericm@lne.com  Network security and encryption consulting.
PGP keyid:E03F65E5 fingerprint:50 B0 A2 4C 7D 86 FC 03  92 E8 AC E6 7E 27 29 AF

End of CPSR-GLOBAL Digest 549 *****************************