Re: Community Info Page: Two More Cents

Christopher X. Candreva (chris@westnet.com)
Tue, 31 Oct 1995 12:21:41 -0500 (EST)

On 31 Oct 1995, Warren J. Sirota wrote:

> that fit) it may be a practical approach for WATPA. Does anyone out there haved
> suggestions on the authoring tools we should consider? If so, I'll be glad to
> investigate and make some recommendations.

The whole reason it's in the format it's in is for speed: No one has time
to individually format each page.

Rather than pick a standard tool, how about pick a volunteer to take
every piece submitted, convert it from whatever format it was submitted
in into HTML, add pictures, pick fonts, pick a background, tweak the
colors, etc ... and let THEM pick the tool they like ?

My point being: Anyone who doesn't like the way the pages look is free to
rewrite them and maintain them. If you have the time, great. I don't
think the current people working on it do. I don't even have the time to
make pages like currently exist !

This isn't directed at you Warren, just the discussion in general.

Now as to actually answering your question: I write HTML with a text
editor myself. I find most of the current authoring tools actually are
more dificult than writting by hand. There are macro extentions to word,
HotMetal, and a bunch of others.

-Chris

http://www.westnet.com/