Re: WATPA: RE: Unsecured Wi-Fi would be outlawed by N.Y. county

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris@westnet.com>
Date: Fri Nov 11 2005 - 16:35:08 EST

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Norm Jacknis wrote:

> Since Chris posted this, I'll put on my "day job" hat and make clear that the
> article is incorrect. No one is proposing outlawing or banning Wi-Fi in
> Westchester, nor is anyone's home Wi-Fi network going to be threatened by
> legislation.

> The legislation would ask businesses that have both confidential data and
> wireless networks to, at least, take minimal steps to protect that data from
> those who might otherwise gain access to their networks.

Whoops, didn't mean to jump the gun on you, I was just surprised to see
Westchester mentioned in the national press. I am so used to tech articles
being utterly and completely wrong, I just mentally reduced it to this -- it
never occured to me someone would take it at face value. Sad, eh ?

> Most businesses have handled these properly. Unfortunately, a significant

Really ? I wouldn't say so, but then again I only see the problems and
realize I have a skewed view. If you've actualy done surveys of what
wireless networks are like in the area that would be some interesting
figures.

http://www.westnet.com/