WATPA: FW: Bill Gates, Shaquille O'Neal introduce online safety program for kids

From: Norman J. Jacknis (njacknis@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Jun 18 1999 - 21:23:22 EDT

> Bill Gates, Shaquille O'Neal introduce online safety program for kids
>
> Copyright ? 1999 Nando Media
> Copyright ? 1999 Associated Press
>
> WASHINGTON (June 16, 1999 4:42 p.m. EDT http://www.nandotimes.com) - Nick
Walker couldn't recognize the richest man in the world if Bill Gates walked
up to him in person - and Gates did just that Wednesday.

> But the 9-year-old boy looked past Gates and toward the man beside him,
whose presence drew oohs and aahs from all of Nick's friends inside the
Boys & Girls Club computer room. It was NBA superstar Shaquille O'Neal of
the Los Angeles Lakers.

> Gates and O'Neal visited the center in Washington to introduce a new
program intended to teach children how to use the Internet safely. The
"Stay Safe Online" program will be tested at the Boys & Girls Club of
America's 15 new technology centers in rural and inner-city communities.

> O'Neal contributed $1 million to the program; Microsoft, the corporation
headed by Gates, donated $1.1 million, plus software worth $400,000 and
technical support.

> The 15-minute, interactive and animated program features O'Neal and
others providing advice on Internet safety. Among the suggestions: Never
provide personal information over the Web and never meet anyone in person
who was introduced to them on the Internet. The program is a requirement
for any child wanting to use the computer centers.

> O'Neal said he often went to the Boys & Girls club when he was growing up
in New Jersey and that the center helped him stay out of trouble.

http://www.techserver.com/story/body/0,1634,60512-96360-687360-0,00.html