Re: Name That Homepage

William Langham (blangham@westnet.com)
Fri, 12 Jan 1996 18:27:38 -0500 (EST)

On 12 Jan 1996, Warren J. Sirota wrote:

> Date: 12 Jan 96 13:12:23 EST
> From: Warren J. Sirota <73510.500@compuserve.com>
> To: WATPA <watpa@westnet.com>
> Subject: Name That Homepage
>
> 'Thank you' to everyone who sent comments and ideas regarding the name for
> WATPA's homepage.
>
> We are proceeding with "Westchester Info Depot" for the following reasons:
>
> 1. It is as concise as posiible, although we cannot reduce the length of
> Westchester (unless we use WC which would probably be amusing to europeans who
> stumble upon it.)
> 2. The words Info Depot alliterate, which makes it "catchy" (i.e., easy to
> remember) in marketing lingo.
> 3. It captures the main idea of the homepage which is to be the best place to
> go to find everything Westchester (New York, that is). Kinda like Office Depot,
> only better.
> 4. It communicates what it is to our target audience in the most "user
> friendly" (i.e., understandable) way possible, drawing on a non-technical
> paradigm.
>
> Bottom line is, I avoided words like Internet, Homepage, etc., because they
> speak only to the computer literate, and I avoided words longer than two short
> sylables. Also note that the by-line under the banner on the homepage is "Your
> Electronic Hub for Westchester County, New York" so there should not be
> confusion over whose Westchester it is.

Just to throw a wrench into the works, I spent sometime at Library
yeaterday looking through histories of the County and discivered a really
neat phrase - during Revolutionary days, each town, or at least North
Salem had a group of officials known as "Path Masters" whose job it was
to asure taht all citizens had roads, access to them and the benfirs that
accrued from travelling them.

I thought "how apt for our Community Server - it connects Westchester to
the dreaded Info Superhighway, is a place where info not only resides but
flows and has a basis in county history. So it's my belated moniker for
the homepage - Westchester PathMaster.

Bill Langham Hemaskus Information Management
Rye, NY Services
blangham@westnet.com

The path I follow I can hardly see. In Rain, Wendell Berry
I tooted my horn for th' passing lane. Maybelline, Chuck Berry