Re: WATPA: FW: Google releases a tool that shows you where to vote on Election Day

From: Gene Robins <gener6935@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Nov 03 2008 - 16:54:51 EST

Hi Norm,

Thanks for the info.

I sent the following to Nita Lowey.

This is in regard to the D-TV situation.

Early in 2007, there were many warnings on television and in other media that older TV sets not connected to cable would not receive programming after February 2009. A converter box would be needed to make them operational.

Being senior citizens, who live mainly on social security benefits, television is very important to my wife and I. It is our main source of news, information and entertainment.

Consequently, I promptly requested two of the $40 coupons offered towards the purchase of the necessary D-TV boxes for our two old TV sets.

I received the coupons, but could not redeem them because the boxes were not available for purchase at that time.

I carefully set aside the coupons, and now that the boxes are available, my local store pointed out my coupons are past their expiration date!

I doubt many consumers, particularly retirees or others on limited income, rushed out to purchase an item that would not be useful until 8 or 10 months later, especially for an old TV set that might "konk out" before the 2009 date!

When I go to the web site for D-TV it doesn't give me a way to get new coupons or turn in my old ones for valid coupons.
I've spoken to others in the same predicament so I know I'm not alone with this problem.

What can be done about this situation? I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Norm a lot of seniors will be affected by this dumbness. I know several people affected and when you go to Google you find lots more.

Any suggestions?

Gene Robins

gener6935@yahoo.com
gener693@optonline.net