Re: WATPA: On-Line Newspaper

From: Jeanne Betsock Stillman <jbs@stratdev.com>
Date: Sat Jul 09 2005 - 11:06:43 EDT

Working on publicity for a non-profit (United Nations Association of the USA, Westchester Chapter) I look for sites where we can post information, both about our organization and about upcoming events, and appreciate the outlet they provide. It's hard to evaluate though what this means to us--it seems that mainly it's exposure--just getting our name out if people happen to click--, rather than, for example, bringing people in to one of our events. We use AmericanTowns, and I really appreciate the service they provide (though it has been difficult to get on to all of the town websites consistently, which we want to do because we are a county-wide organization).

And we usually post to White Plains and Scarsdale sites including Westchester Wire (www.westchester.com) , which Sean operates.. The Westchester County Calendar also gives an outlet for event postings, but not for news. WATPA's site is one more where we have a "page."

For a small non-profit with no staff, a volunteer board and limited time, the posting and updating in addition to updating one's own site is time-consuming. I'd be very interested in learning the experience of other non-profits and what they feel they gain from the exposure.

All that said, it would be great to have a regular column on sites where the broad public would see information, rather than on depending on attracting the public to our site.

Jeanne Betsock Stillman
Board member and secretary (and publicity chair) - UNA-USA Westchester Chapter
www.stratdev.com/UNA-USA/

Strategies for Development, Inc.
"Helping organizations meet their development goals"
166 Edgars Lane
Hastings-on-Hudson, NY 10706
914-478-3450
jbs@stratdev.com