WATPA: Verisign breaks .com / .net

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris@westnet.com>
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 20:19:43 EDT

Verisign is returning an IP for all unregistered domains -- and all domains
without name servers -- directed it to their search web page. Of course,
this machine is now takeing traffic for any other service someone tried to
access by mistake.

This means no more 'host not found'. This means if you mistype an e-mail
address, you can't get an error immediately -- it's all going to Verisign's
mail server. If their server is down, you won't get an error for days
possibly. Thanks Verisign.

Never mind anyone trying to test any other service. Mistype the domain,
you don't get the error you expect. This breaks an incredible amount of
functionality.

I realize we are only Westchester based, but anyone know anyone higher up
the Govt chain ? Norm ?

From: Matt Larson <mlarson@verisign.com>
Subject: Re: Change to .com/.net behavior