WATPA: FW: New thinking

From: Norm Jacknis (norm@jacknis.com)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 22:10:22 EST

A little tidbit that came to me ...

-----Original Message-----
As a way to consider thinking, change, time -- and the power grid --
beyond the past five years, this from Marshall McLuhan's seminal 1989 work
"The Global Village: Transformations in World Life and Media in the 21st
Century"

"It is a fact ... that, by means of electricity, the world of matter has
become a great nerve, vibrating thousands of miles in a breathless point of
time? Rather, the round globe is a vast head, a brain, instinct with
intelligence! Or, shall we say, it is itself a thought, nothing but a
thought, and no longer the substance which we deemed it!"

McLuhan found the quote in Nathaniel Hawthorne's "The House of the Seven
Gables," published in 1851.