WATPA: FW: Youth Service America

From: Norman J. Jacknis (njacknis@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Oct 26 1999 - 22:43:30 EDT

I received the appended email message and was interested in any comments WATPA folks might have on it.

Regards,
Norm

----------
Norman -

Hi! I read your most recent post to NPT Talk and wanted to let you know
about an organization I work with, Youth Service America. Youth Service
America manages a volunteer matching website called SERVEnet,
www.servenet.org. I am very interested in seeing how we may partner in
our efforts to encourage more folks to volunteer in the community. Right
now SERVEnet manages a database of over 8000 Volunteers, 6467 Volunteer
Opportunities, and 4865 Organizations. Here are a few ideas I had:

1. We would love to provide your audience with volunteer opportunities
either within your region or within the United States by posting the
Volunteer Now! box on your website or by together creating a co-branded
volunteer searching section. A sampling of our current Partners are MTV,
the NBA, Sears, Timberland, Hasbro, America's Promise, Communities in
Schools, and several others. Our traffic is intense with volunteers
searching for opportunities and organizations posting volunteer
opportunities all across the US.

How SERVEnet works. SERVEnet enables users to enter their zip code,
city, state, skills, interests, and more to search for the perfect
volunteer opportunity. SERVEnet also enables volunteers to submit their
talents in our Talent Bank. When an organization specifies a certain
skill or interest that a volunteer has, the volunteer is immediately
emailed. With research, we've found that 90% of the individuals who are
asked to volunteer actually get out and volunteer. SERVEnet applies
this fact and puts it to practice on SERVEnet. To date, SERVEnet
volunteers have dedicated 77,562 hours to volunteering worth $1,109,136
to the economy.

SERVEnet would love to be your database backend provider for volunteer
matching as well as other service-related news, events, and best
practices. Let me know your thoughts!

Ruth

Ruth Gordon
Internet Director